Welcome To EGMS EGMS Activity Calendar Principal, Jennifer Armond Mission Statement School History Eagle Staff Non-Discrimination & Disability Harassment Revised Statute 24:523
Academics Activities and Clubs Athletics Spirit
Illuminate LEAP Information
Instructional Coach Lunch Menu Bell Schedule School Supply List Dress Code School Nurse Library Student Handbook
Pauline Williams and Ora Gamble (Year Unknown)
1st Graduating Class: 1922. Mr. Hayes was the principal.

School History

History of Elm Grove

During a special school election, held August 9, 1918, voters approved a tax of five mills on the dollar for ten years to build and equip a school building in District 9 of Bossier Parish.  Two acres of land were bought at $250.00 per acre from A. Caplis in Elm Grove, Louisiana.  Construction began immediately on a two-story frame building with four large rooms for classrooms, a large auditorium, with a stage, a small library, and an office.

The school was named Ward One Junior High School and it opened in September 1921 with a principal and three teachers.  During the years 1923 through 1925 new buildings were constructed, including a teacherage and home economics building and a small cottage for the principal's residence;  W.H. and C.B. Hodges donated land for this expansion.  Only one of these earlier buildings is still in use;  this is the original two-story building, which is now used for choir and the school's weight room.  The teacherage was purchased by long time teacher, the late Mrs. Elston, and is now lived in by her husband one mile from the school.

In 1923 the junior high school became an accredited high school and was renamed Elm Grove Junior High School.  Additional teachers were added as needed and by 1935 the high school had a faculty of seven. The facility accommodated the educational needs of south Bossier Parish for thirty-eight years.

A bond issue for school district twenty-seven was aapproved in 1957 and with this appropriation, Curtis Elementary was constructed and improvements made to Elm Grove High School, including the construction of the gym, a cafeteria, and an additional wing to the main building.  When Curtis opened in 1959, white elementary students wre assigned to the new facility, white secondary students were assigned to Rusheon Junior High School, and Elm Grove High School accommodated the black students of the area in grades one through twelve.

The facility was closed in February 1970 when the state of Louisiana abolished segreation and reorganized the shcool systems to include integreation.  In September of 1970, the facility was reopened for the seventh and eighth grade students of south Bossier Parish and renamed Elm Grove Junior High.  The mascot became the Demons.

In 1990, the mascot name was changed from the Demons to the Elm Grove Eagles.

The need to alleviate over crowded classrooms in south Bossier Parish and the trend to establish middle schools were two main issues that brought a significant change to Elm Grove.  In 1996, voters authorized the issuance of twenty-year bonds to make necessary improvements to exisiting schools and begin construction of two new schools.  At this time, plans were made to move south Bossier Parish sixth grade students from Curtis Elmentary School to Elm Grove Middle School.  Construction began in 1996 with the addition of a twelve-room wing to accomodate the sixth grade students.  The former gym area was redesigned to expand the exisiting cafeteria and accommodate a new band facility.  A new gym was completed in April 1998.

With the addition of the sixth grade students in August 1997, the enrollment increased from 533 to 835.  The school continues to be a feeder school for Parkway High School.  Many teachers who teach at Elm Grove were once students, illustrating the school's motto that was adopted in 1986 and is still used to this day, "It's A Matter of Pride'.

Original School House

Original School House

The School from 1970 - 2010

front of school.JPG

The School Today